Thursday, February 4, 2010

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.

Helping Haiti 2010

Welcome to the first newsletter of Helping Haiti 2010! 
In order to better keep in touch with my friends, family and all that are supporting me daily with prayers and donations I decided to create a simple newsletter to keep everyone updated on the events of my upcoming journey.

Events of today:

1. Confirmation email from Dr. Irwin of http://www.medmissionaries.org/ of my acceptance to be on the third/fourth team to head down to Haiti to offer healthcare to the Haitians. I will be traveling with an ER MD, Pedes NP, CRNA, General surgeon, and a PhD who is on the board of directors and is our team leader. It is a small team. I hope it isn't an indication of decreasing support. Please pray that our hearts and hands are blessed to do the work needed!

2. Western Baptist Hospital donated over $ 3,000.00 worth of medications on Dr. Irwin’s “wish list” as well as gloves, speculums, light sources for speculums, lubrication etc!! (I am a nurse midwife you know, so I am pushing for gynecological supplies)!

3. My tickets were bought and I am flying out of Paducah. Given the amount of supplies and the fact that I will be exhausted, I thought is best to use Barkley Regional instead of Nashville. I am attaching the flight itinerary for those of you who have this trip on your prayer lists. There is a day in between each flight, due to the fact that I couldn't get the flights lined up with Paducah.

Sat. Feb 13 
Depart 05:59 am Paducah
Arrive: 2:04 pm Dulles

Mon. Feb 15
Depart 06:00 am Dulles
Arrive 1:10 pm Santo Domingo

Mon. March 8
Depart 4:50 pm Santo Domingo
Arrive 11:15 pm Dulles

Tues. March 9
Depart 09:27 am Dulles
Arrive 02;37 pm Paducah

4. As of today we have over $2,100.00 in monetary donations to be used for supplies for this medical mission trip!! I will use some of that money to buy the batteries needed for the light sources, Deet, water purification systems, flashlights , food, and anything else I am told is needed! Thank you so much for your help! Any amount of donation can help make a HUGE difference in the mission of slowly beginning to rebuild the lives and communities of the Haitian men, women and children. Donations can also be mailed to the address at the end of this newsletter.

Follow my blog: http://ernursepractitioner.blogspot.com/

You can click the "FOLLOW" button in the upper left corner to follow the journey!!

Donation List:

Donations can be made to ANY US Bank branch, or mailed to:

US Bank

C/O Susan Ybarzabal

333 Broadway

Paducah, KY 42001

Donations to:

Dani Williamson C/O Haiti Relief

Two locations to drop off supplies for the "wish list":

HOOPER'S Outdoor Center

219 Broadway

Paducah, KY

10a-8p M-Sat

1p-5p Sunday

Gold Gallery

1769 Mayfield Hwy.

Benton, KY 42025

Supplies needed: By 2/12/2010

PERSONAL HYGIENE PRODUCTS

• Soap

• Shampoo & conditioner

• Plastic combs

• Toothpaste

• Toothbrushes

• Deodorant

• Hand and body lotion

• Washcloths

MEDICAL SUPPLIES

• Bandages (including soft-stretch bandages, ace bandages, and band-aids)

• Rubbing alcohol or alcohol wipes

• Antibiotic ointment

• Gauze pads

• Hand sanitizer

• Saline solution/eye wash

GENERAL:DEET, Flashlights, Batteries,

Leather gloves

1 comment:

  1. Dani, though we have never met you should know your story, from losing your job up to the present time, has inspired me. Being a woman who is a Nurse Practitioner in a health care system dominated by (largely male) physicians is not an easy task. This truth is especially exacerbated if, like me, you are fresh out of school and in the process of learning. It can be so tough at times!! Kudos to you for making the best out of a bad situation.... god bless you, god bless you, god bless you! What you are doing is phenomenol and makes all us NPs proud!!

    Good luck, I wish you well on your travels!!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete

Integrative Family Medicine